Family

Family

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Influential? Or Influenced.

Someone wise once said to me "In life you have a choice... you can either be influenced or be influential." It was probably my mom, she pretty much had the corner market on euphemisms. However, to be truthful... I can't remember...not the point. Anyhoo... That is a pretty substantial statement. To think it through would mean to examine all aspects of life.

Who are my friends... not the ones that I have around to prove something to someone, but who really have my back? Who can I call at 0am or o'dark thirty and know that  they will not hang up the phone or tell me "this is really not a good time." Am I that to anyone else?

What are the activities that I spend my life doing? Are they building anything? Anyone? Or are they destructive to anything? Anyone? Do they bring any intrinsic value to me or my family at all?

Where are my priorities? Are they legacy building? Do they increase the love in my family or are they love suckers? What do I DO all day long? Am I loving my husband like he desires to be loved or my children like they need to be? Who's cup am I pouring my life into?

It is not my belief or desire to have a whole parcel of time sucking friends. It is not my desire to spend every last moment of life on everyone else in my life, but all of these questions lead me to wonder if what I am doing in this life matters to anyone else but me. Once my time in the business world is over, my time raising my family is done, and I breathe my last breath of life, what have I left behind? Was I influential? Or was I influenced?

No comments:

Post a Comment